Thursday, November 7, 2013

Family Rules Sign for Command Center



 
So I have been trying to put together a family command center on one of the walls in our dining room.  I have a bunch of ideas for the command center and have been compiling them for a while and made a list of projects I need to complete before I put them all together on the dining room wall.  You've seen the family command centers, right?  They're all over Pinterest and help the family stay organized.  In case you have yet to lay your peepers on one of these bad boys, allow me to show you a few examples:
 
 
This one can be found over at theyellowcapecod.com.  I love the way they used canvas tote bags labeled with each family members' name hung from hooks to corral loose odds and ends found around the home.  I am using this idea in my command center as well.  I'll be utilizing the totes for separating mail too: the hubs mail in his bag, my stepson's mail in his, etc.
 
 
This chic little number is courtesy of thehandmadehome.net.  The magnetic circular containers are super cute and the use of a rail system like ones found at Pottery Barn and Ikea is really popular for command centers right now. 
 
 
I am really loving the color scheme for this family command center.  Everything coordinates so well, I could stare at this picture for quite a while.  I thought about the possibility of creating my command center in coordinating colors but ended up doing a multitude of colors so my command center is in effect much like my personality, colorful and a little bit all over the place! 
 
 
This is one of my favorite command centers that I pinned for inspiration via One Creative Housewife.  Everything about this center I love: the organization, the mixture of boards and baskets, the printables at the very top; everything is awesome! 
 
So, now that I've shown you what I am aiming for, allow me to share one of my mini-projects with you.  I have seen some command centers that included a copy of the family's rules.  Now, we, as a family, aren't really hell-bent on a lot of strict rules, so I made ours more like "rules to live by".  Your rules could look completely different from mine but here is what I included on our list:

 Be polite, kind, & uplifting
 
Clean up after yourself
 
Support your siblings & share in their joy
 
Be grateful & count your blessings
 
Keep your promises
 
Word hard & do your best
 
Sing silly, dance crazy, hug lots, snuggle often
 
Apologize sincerely & forgive freely
 
Be respectful & dependable
 
Always tell the truth
 
Laugh out loud & have fun
 
Try new things & be creative
 
Listen to your parents
 
Help others
 
Make the right choice
 
Be courageous
 
Believe in yourself
 
 Practice patience
 
Remember you are loved
 
I purchased a 10x20" scrapbooking canvas at Meijer in their craft department a while back.  To make my pretty family rules sign, I typed up my rules, all in different fonts, and all on a separate page of my Word document.  This way, I could use a different sheet of scrapbook paper for every rule to create the hodge podge of designs I have for the rules sign.  
 
I busted out my scrapbook paper and cut 12x12" sheets to 8.5x11' for the printer.  I have a Kodak Hero 9.1 inkjet printer so I had to just place my scrapbook paper upside down in the paper tray in order for it to print on the correct side.  Printers differ in the way they feed paper so if you do a sign, be sure to check this first.
 
After my rules were printed, I cut them into strips.  I just left about a quarter inch above and below the font; I just eyeballed this.  By the way, my font size differed depending on what font I was using anywhere from 50pt to 120pt.  
 
After I had my strips, I just used glue-dots to adhere them to the canvas.  I did this, layering them as I went, a little bit of the top of the next one over the bottom of the last one.  I liked the look that layering gave me.  Because my rules were printed in landscape orientation, they were all 11" long.  I just folded over a half inch on either side of my 10" wide canvas and adhered it with a glue dot.
 
I finished off by using Scotch tape on the back of the canvas to strengthen the bonding of paper to canvas.  The finished product looks like this:
 

Ta da!
 
Feel free to use as many of my rules or as few as you want! Thanks for letting me share!  What would your family rules consist of? 

 


No comments: