Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Writing Your Own Vows - Part 2: Non-Traditional Vows

Here are some ideas to get you started. I pulled these from The Everything Wedding Vows Book , by Janet Anastasio and Michelle Bevilacqua, a book that I have found to be exceedingly helpful in the vow-writing process.

"Today, (name), I join my life to yours, not merely as your (wife/husband), but as your friend, your lover, and your confidant. Let me be the shoulder you lean on, the rock on which you rest, the companion of your life. With you I will walk my path from this day forward."

"(Name), with free and unconstrained soul, I give you all I am and all I am to become. Take this ring and with it my promise of faith, patience, and love, for the rest of my life."

Two flames, one light. (Name), I offer you this ring as a sign of life, and myself as your (husband/wife). Let us walk together always, and let us always walk toward the light."

"A ceremony is for a day; a marriage is for a lifetime. Today, i join my life with yours for as long as I shall live on this earth, forsaking all others. (Name), I freely offer myself to you as your (husband/wife)."

"To marry the person you have set your heart upon is a joy unparalleled in human life. (Name), take this ring as a sign of my faith and my commitment to our love, and share this joy with me today."

"Where there has been cold, you have brought warmth; where my life was dark, you have brought light. (Name), I pledge before this assembled company to be your (husband/wife) from this day forward. Let us make of our two lives, one life, and let us always honor and respect each other."

"Love has given us wings, and our journey begins today. (Name), where ever the wind may carry me, I will stay by your side as your (husband/wife). Take this ring as a sign of my love."

"Love is to be cherished when we find it in life, and I cherish it in you. (Name), let us build a life together. I give myself to you as your (husband/wife), and I pledge here to cherish for all of my days the love we celebrate today."

No comments: